Sunday, January 18, 2009

Who are you? Why are you reading? And the ground rules...

So each week we'll start a new post on Monday opening the next section of the book to comments. The idea is that all the content will be contained in the comments making it easy to read along at your own pace or refer back to comments or questions in a particular section of the book.

Anyone reading Ulyssess is welcome to join in the discussion. I hope for the most dynamic discussion we'll have a few readers keeping a similar pace through this challenging book. Please play nice and be respectful. We're doing this for fun. No plagairism. We'll be more impressed if you find and cite a great resource than if you steal someone else's work. On the same note, no stealing the words of the contributers here for your book report, College Boy.

Check in on and contribute to the posts with Resources for getting started as well as Joycean references.

Now tell us who you are and what interested you in reading Ulysses?

5 comments:

  1. I somehow got a degree in English literature without ever reading any James Joyce. I kept reading things which I knew were Joycean so I figured I'd like to review the source material. I knew James Joyce's writing was too dense for me to do alone and I couldn't find enough people in my area who were looking to read Ulysses recreationally, so I took it to the internet. I have a job which is pretty intensive in reading and writing (though not the literary sort) so I plan to keep my contributions converational. If I planned to write polished literary criticism, I'd go to grad school. That said, if you want to write a dissertation, bring it.
    Bloomsday seemed like a good goal deadline, so let's get started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I know there is some controversy over which version is best. I'm reading the Random House corrected text edited by Hans Walter Gabler. I selected it because it was the cheapest used version that had line numbers. It also has a great inscription in the front: 8-10-88
    To Jody,
    May your trod through life be easier than your trod through this book. Happy Birthday.
    Love,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Portrait of an Artist as Young Man in a Modernism class in college. I'm glad I read it, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I enjoyed it. Ulysses holds the same promise for me. I'm curious, but I'm expecting it's going to be a lot like homework.

    I might push ahead of the reading schedule some. I don't want to have this sucker staring at me for the next six months. But, I'll be checking in with everyone else.

    My copy is a big ugly "Modern Library Giant" 1961 edition, with a bookplate that says it used to belong to Linda Lindley Johnson. Linda took excellent care of her book. I suspect she never read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shelly, should I stay a "follower" or is their some way to become a "contributor" that I am missing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zach, I planned to keep it a one author blog so the main page stays streamlined and in order. That way all the actual content happens under the sections making it easier to search later. I'll open a general "musings" post for things that are not delineated by the chapters sooner rather than at the end as I planned. I don't have a sense yet of how I'm going to pace this book but I might read ahead as well. If it remains just the 3 of us, that should be pretty easy to do. I'm going to change the post structure, let me know if it makes it easier or harder to "follow." That is the main way I'm tracking the blog as well. I think I can also set up a thing so it emails you when someone comments. If you want me to do that, let me know.

    ReplyDelete